We all have seen it, heard of it or maybe used it, one of the great ways to wash your vehicle is doing it without any water but we all ask the same questions: Is it safe? Will I scratch my car? How do you do it? Does it take longer than regular wash? Well, the average people encounters this method as a difficult task and not simple as just rinsing your car with water and soap or taking it to your local carwash center, or maybe it is not safe for the paint since you might be scratching your car. In reality there’s some Pros and Cons about waterless car wash and we will try to discuss all of them here and make sure we cover the most important parts of this revolutionary system now used by many professional detailers.
Know what’s good.
Before we start talking about the benefits you also want to know what companies make some of the popular and easiest waterless wash products. Some differ from one to another but at the end they all do the same in different ways. :
- Ultima Waterless Wash
- Chemical guys Eco Smart
- Griots Spray on Wash
Another big name brands are joining the game now with their own waterless solution like Meguiars and Mothers also Turtle wax now offer similar products for the market. The ones we mentioned above were found the easiest ones to use and great for any surface and working temperature. Ultima Wash in our opinion is the most complete, as you can use it not only for washing the car but also as a final wipe spray, clay bar solution, rim cleaning and window cleaner as well. After that is Chemical guys with Ecosmart and Griots Spray wash. These 2 do a great job on washing but with less benefits than the Ultima Waterless Wash.
Certainly washing our cars with water can be a simply task but it isnt until you try waterless when you start appreciating the benefits of the system.
- Saving water: First and foremost is this benefit, in average it takes about 30-40gal of water to wash a single car versus a waterless wash where you can wash an entire vehicle with nearly 16oz of water saving on avg 1500gal/yr. With California laws this is definitely a smart move to do.
- Avoiding the mess: You know when washing your car, you’re committed from beginning to end, you can’t stop, specially working under the sun where that tap water can create water spots and ruin your paint, add to that the steps you have to take; water your car, shampoo, scrub, rinse, and dry.
A waterless wash is simple as spray, wipe and go. You can do it under the sun or shade without worry about spots. We will cover more on “How To” ahead
- The myth of scratching: when you wash your vehicle if you don’t use a proper system and correct towels or washmits you can encounter yourself scratching your car without noticing, reality is when we wash our cars and use a shampoo and whatever towel we have available, we start carrying that dirt around the vehicle and eventually you will wonder where all those swirls are coming from. An a few words any system can scratch your car, how deep and severe the damage is the big difference. Using a Waterless system can save you money with just having the correct towels and technique, basically that’s all you need.
- One product: Instead of having a bunch of chemicals you can easily have one product that covers all the needs, like cleaning wheels and also your windows even as safe that you can wipe down your interior with that.
- Little details: Open your windows with confidence, you won’t have those streaks from water stuck in your window rails, no more water drips anywhere in your recently washed car, enjoy a clean car longer.
How it’s used
Depending what product you are using will determent the way you use it, in this article we will be using Ultima Waterless Wash as we found it really easy to use with more benefits. Washing your car is as easy as say “Spray on Wipe off” but there’s also technique and towel use for this process that will ensure you have a less scratching and a nice finished result.
- Pick your product and towels. Using a high grade MF towel will do the job easy and safe for your paint.
- Find some shade, a drink, nice music, dilute your solution and use a spray bottle. Even tho you can’t work on a shaded spot you still can do it, the difference will be how much product will be used on your car
- Depending on how dirty the car is, spray the desire area (panel/panel recommended) an even pattern avoiding drips, if you see product dripping then its too much and if you don’t see a constant sprayed pattern its too low.
- Fold your towel in 8s and with one side start wiping down gently with only the weight of your hand with normal pace, not fast not too slow. No pressure needed.
- Flip to a clean side and do a quick sprit on the panel and now you can use some pressure to buff the excess, you will see how rich and glossy that panel will look.
- Continue this process to the whole car panel per panel including windows. Flipping towel to clean sides when one becomes dirty, use as many towels you need (Avg 3). You will notice some normal streaks left behind, this is a type of temporary wax.
- After your car is prep washed is time to use quick detailer spray using a fluffy towel spraying direct to panel or towel but always make sure not to use so much product. This will remove the streaks and will give you a nice gloss when done.
This is a quick explanation on How To use any waterless system but refer to products directions to get better results, On this review Ultima Waterless Wash is used to wash, final wipe spay, cleaned rims and windows and also you can wipe down really quick your interior without any harm to anything.
It may look complicated or too many steps to follow, but if you want to make sure that your paint will stay cleaner and swirl free for longer time, waterless wash offers great benefits where soap and water cant. The only downside of this is when your car is completely full in mud, that’s where it gets out of control but we recommend customers to hose off any dirt excess and they can use waterless after all. Also not matter how safe these systems are, wash damage will be present but not as deep and not as quickly if you use water and soap and that’s where Waterless Wash comes in better. If its an older vehicle or newer you can enjoy all the benefits any time.